Who We Are
We exist to advance education and research and to help society tackle the many challenges it faces.
University of Lay Adventists of Kigali (UNILAK) was created by the Federation of Adventist Parents Associations for the Development of Education in Rwanda (FAPADER) which is an association of several lay Seventh day Adventist proprietorship of secondary school associations that includes:
UNILAK was approved through the Convention No. 001 of 03 February 1997, which was signed between the Government of the Republic of Rwanda, and FAPADER.
The University obtained legal identity as a nonprofit association under Rwandan law through the Ministerial Decree No. 89/11 of 02 July 2004 and it was fully accredited by the
government of Rwanda through the Ministerial Order NO 002/09 of 09/04/2009.
The University’s Headquarters are located in the City of Kigali, Gasabo District, Remera Sector. UNILAK has also expanded its activities in the Southern province (Nyanza) and
Eastern Province (Rwamagana) and the two campuses operate with a competitive modern boarding facility.
UNILAK Data Universal Numbering System (D-U-N-S) Number is 561227536 which show the extent to which UNILAK is credible at global level.
UNILAK has four faculties offered both in undergraduate and master’s level:
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Economic Sciences and Management
- Faculty of Environmental Studies
- Faculty of Computing and Information Sciences
UNILAK RESEARCH PROFILE
UNILAK has an international scientific journal named “East African Journal of Science and Technology, EAJST” it is online (http://eajournal.unilak.ac.rw/)
and printed periodically. (ISSN: 2227-1902).
The University organizes yearly international conference where with its fellow researchers share knowledge at international level in different domains especially in cooperative
management, sustainable development, Law and environmental studies. These conferences, research projects and publications involve academic staffs, undergraduate and post graduate students and national and international
The main objectives of UNILAK are the following:
- To design programmes and provide higher learning education so as to award undergraduate, graduate, or post-graduate degrees and diplomas in various fields.
- To carry out and promote research in all scientific and technological disciplines and on different problems at the national and regional level and worldwide.
- To publish research results and to collaborate with other institutions to ensure their dissemination in order to contribute to the promotion of development at the national and regional level and worldwide.
- To provide the student with knowledge and skills, technology, and education for self-confidence and self-employment.
- To contribute to community engagement activities.
- To promote Christian Values
UNILAK COLLABORATION WITH OTHER INSTITUTIONS
UNILAK is a member of Inter University Council for East Africa (IUCEA) and ORIPES Rwandan Organization of Private Higher Learning Institutions.
UNILAK collaborates with different public, private and international organizations which are helpful for conducting community outreach activities and research projects.
Some of the research projects conducted jointly
1. Examining success factors for sustainable rural development through the integrated cooperative model (MAKERERE UNIVERSITY, MOSHI UNIVERSITY, UNILAK, Canadian Cooperative Alliance (CCA)).
2. Joint Environmental and natural research center (UNILAK-XIEG).
3. Rice firming and sustainable rural development in eastern province of Rwanda.
4. Study of soil and water conservation and high yield efficient agriculture for mountain and hilly area in the upper reaches of Nile between UNILAK and Xian University.
5. Examining the role of Agricultural cooperatives in achieving sustainable rural development UNILAK and Land O’Lakes.